We get the “when do you get to go meet her” question a lot. And honestly, the process from here on is a little confusing to us. Since Elsa was waiting with a different agency than we had originally been working with we had to start all of our paperwork and everything over. Kind of like if we had started the adoption process the day we saw her picture instead of a year and a half ago. And to make things more complicated the court closure in Ethiopia is coming up. Basically what that means is that there is a two month (or so) period each year when no cases are processed through the Ethiopian court. It’s during their rainy season, and it’s typically August and September. This means that if we don’t get to travel for our court date in July we won’t get to travel until the fall/winter sometime, after the courts open back up. As in, we won’t get to take the first trip and meet our daughter until the fall/winter. So here’s where we’re at…
As of right now we have submitted all of our dossier paperwork. At this point we are waiting for it to be authenticated (in DC), and hopefully our agency will have it back in their hands by the end of next week so they can reassemble it and send it off to Ethiopia. It will then be translated (no idea how long this takes), merged with Elsa’s paperwork (no idea how long this takes either), and THEN we wait to hear about a court date (no idea how long that will take). Are you lost yet? : ) Bottom line is, it’s sounding like there are still several things that need to be done before we can get a court date.
Hope is definitely not gone that we will get in before the court closure. We’ve seen God do some pretty huge amazing things on this journey. And He’s bigger than any court closure or paper chase. But the days are definitely counting down. Last year the courts were closed the first week of August through mid October if I remember correctly. The thought of not even getting to meet our precious daughter until mid fall/winter…until after her birthday…is, well, ugh. If you’d like to join us in praying for a July court date we’d be very grateful. Pushing our first travel date from July to sometime in the fall/winter pushes our second trip/bringing Elsa home back that much further too. And we’d really love to have her home for Christmas this year!
God’s timing is perfect. Even when it hurts. He’s proven that to us too many times to count in all of this. We’re just really hoping His timing for us to meet sweet Elsa is sooner rather than later… ; )